Gaming is a popular hobby that allows us to immerse ourselves in exciting virtual worlds and experience new adventures. However, it can be frustrating when our controllers don’t work as they should, especially if we’re in the middle of a critical game. One of the most common issues that gamers face is sticky PS4 controller buttons.
This problem can arise due to various reasons, such as dust, dirt, or grime buildup on the buttons or excessive use. I also faced the same issue.
I did not know what to do in the beginning but as soon as I searched through the internet, I got some Fixes. Some of the fixes that are personally tried by me are discussed in this article.
Step 1: Gather the Required Tools
Before you start fixing your sticky PS4 controller buttons, you need to gather the necessary tools. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A small Phillips-head screwdriver
- A microfiber cloth or cotton swabs
- Rubbing alcohol or a cleaning solution
- A bowl or container
After collecting these necessary things, follow the steps below.
Step 2: Disassemble the Controller
To fix your PS4 controller’s sticky buttons, the first step is to disassemble the controller. Follow these steps carefully:
- First of all, you need to turn off your PS4 console and unplug the controller.
- Look for the four screws located at the back of the controller. Use a small Phillips-head screwdriver to unscrew them carefully.
- Once you have removed all four screws, gently remove the backplate of the controller. This will expose the inner components.
By following these steps, you will be able to safely disassemble your PS4 controller and access the buttons that need cleaning. Make sure to keep track of the screws and components, and take note of how they are arranged to ensure you can reassemble the controller correctly later.
Step 3: Clean the Controller Buttons
Once you have disassembled the controller, it’s time to clean the buttons. Follow these steps carefully:
- Use a cotton swab or a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently brush away any debris or dirt on the surface of the buttons.
- Dip the cotton swab or toothbrush into a small amount of rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner. Make sure to not soak the cotton swab or toothbrush.
- Gently clean the buttons by rubbing the cotton swab or toothbrush in a circular motion. Be sure to clean all sides of the buttons, including the edges.
- Use a dry cotton swab or toothbrush to remove any excess alcohol or cleaner from the buttons.
- Allow the buttons to air dry for a few minutes before reassembling the controller.
By following these steps, you can effectively clean your PS4 controller buttons and remove any sticky residue or dirt. Remember to be gentle and not apply too much pressure on the buttons to avoid damaging them.
Step 4: Reassemble the Controller
After you have cleaned the controller buttons, it’s time to put everything back together. Follow these steps carefully:
- Take the backplate of the controller and align it with the front plate, making sure all the buttons and components are in place.
- Carefully screw in the four screws that you removed in Step 2. Make sure they are securely fastened but don’t over-tighten them.
- Once the screws are in place, test the buttons to make sure they are working properly.
- Finally, plug in the controller to your PS4 console and turn it on to ensure that everything is working correctly.
Step 5: Test the Controller
After you have reassembled the controller, it’s important to test it to make sure everything is working correctly. Here’s what you should do:
- Turn on your PS4 console and connect the controller to it.
- Test each button to make sure it’s working properly. Pay close attention to the buttons that were previously sticky to ensure that they have been fixed.
- If you notice any issues or if the buttons are still sticky, you may need to repeat the cleaning process. It’s also possible that there may be a deeper issue with the controller that requires professional repair.
- Once you are satisfied that the controller is working properly, you can resume gaming!
Also, go through: Fix Xbox Controller Blinking Problem – A Step by Step Guide
Q. Can I use a different cleaning solution instead of rubbing alcohol?
A. It’s not recommended to use a different cleaning solution other than rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner to clean your PS4 controller buttons. These solutions are specifically designed to clean electronics and won’t damage or harm the components of the controller.
Using other cleaning solutions may damage the buttons or other components of the controller, so it’s best to stick to rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner. If you don’t have to rub alcohol or contact cleaner, you can purchase them at most electronic or hardware stores.
Q. Is it safe to disassemble my PS4 controller?
A. Yes, it is safe to disassemble your PS4 controller if you follow the correct steps and precautions. However, it’s important to note that disassembling your controller may void any warranty or damage the components if not done correctly.
If you are not comfortable or confident in your ability to disassemble your controller, it’s best to seek professional help. If you do choose to disassemble your controller, be sure to use the correct tools, keep track of all the components and screws, and avoid using excessive force or pressure.
By taking the necessary precautions and following the steps carefully, you can safely disassemble your PS4 controller to fix any sticky button issues.
Q. What should I do if the sticky buttons persist even after cleaning?
A. If the sticky buttons persist even after cleaning, there may be a deeper issue with the controller that requires professional repair. Some steps you can take are mentioned below:
- Try cleaning the buttons again: Sometimes, a second cleaning can do the trick. Make sure you follow the cleaning process carefully and use rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner.
- Check for physical damage: Inspect the buttons and the controller itself for any signs of physical damage or wear and tear. If you notice any damage, it’s best to have it repaired by a professional.
- Contact Sony or professional repair service: If the sticky buttons persist, you may need to contact Sony or a professional repair service to have your controller fixed. If your controller is still under warranty, Sony may be able to repair or replace it for you. If not, a professional repair service can diagnose and fix the issue for you.
Remember, it’s important to take care of your PS4 controller and clean it regularly to prevent issues like sticky buttons from occurring. If you do encounter any issues, take the necessary steps to address them promptly to ensure that your controller is working properly.
Sticky PS4 controller buttons can be a frustrating problem, but, here are 5 Easy Steps to Fix Sticky PS4 Controller Buttons that can save you time and money. Instead of buying a new controller, you can fix the problem yourself in just a few steps. Remember to always follow the instructions carefully and handle the components gently.
Additionally, you can prevent sticky PS4 controller buttons from happening in the future by regularly cleaning your controller and avoiding eating or drinking while gaming. With these simple steps, you can enjoy gaming without any interruptions.